Google Summer of Code with KDE
Hii everyone, Abhijeet here! From Past one month, I am working on implementing FwupdBackend in KDE Discover and till now I am able to achieve following things,
- FindLIBFWUD I have added a new CMake file (FindLIBFWUPD.cmake) such that CMake is able to find the libraries for fwupd installed in the system. These libraries provide the interface so that discover could talk to the fwupd daemon and issue commands.
- ShowDevices I have added the new constructor and destructor, so as create a Fwupdclient object through which we could talk to the fwupd daemon. To check the above functionality I Populated the Discover list with all the devices, the fwupd daemon is able to find, attached to the system and verified the output with issuing the list command on CLI. (ScreenShots attached) (Note that here I am using random Icons as this was done only to test the working of code!) Discover Showing Attached Devices
Fwupdmgr CLI Output for showing attached devices
3. I also added code for enabling/disabling default sources for new firmware, in the setting menu,
Discover showing the sources list
4. As I would be needing devices to simulate and test the new backend code for upgrading the devices, I asked in the fwupd discussion forum for adding virtual device/releases to which I got a reply from Richard (Fwupd Creator/Developer) that virtual devices in fwupd are still not in proper condition to do testing, so he was grateful enough to provide me some ColorHug PCBs. I mailed him my address and waiting for some devices 😀 (Link for discussion here )
Development Branch here!
Targets for Next Month
- Writing code for downloading the new firmware from LVFS and matching its checksum from provided metadata.
- Writing transaction code for issuing installs for new firmware for devices.
- Searching for all end cases and writing code for verifying conditions like PowerPlug is On etc.
- Writing unit tests for simulating above code 😀
FeedBack Feel free to write comments below!