Hey everyone, Abhijeet here today I finally resolved a problem, of annoying paste of clipboard text items on different applications. I generally don’t use the mouse but use gestures for switching different windows on my laptop. Now the problem I was facing was that my three fingers swipe up, swipe down gestures was sometimes captured as a three finger tap. Now the middle click emulation and three finger tap are binded with the same paste option. After searching the internet, and going through forums and all I found this solution to be working, it is a workaround the problem it doesn’t directly tackle the problem but works as expected.
We will actually map a different button simulation with that input, this will resolve our problem.
Issue Following command
- “$xmodmap -pp” . Following is the expected output of this command.
- Now we want to know which button code is mapped with three-finger-tap or middle-mouse-click. To check this we will issue a command, this command will open a box which will catch all input signals, so we could find the code! “$xev” [See the yellow arrow for what you need to find, ignore the signals detected after it, that’s because of a button I pressed for screenshot]
- Now we know the culprit is the button with ID 2. to resolve our issue we will map swap it with the button with ID 6, since we are not using it. To do that we can issue the following command.”$xmodmap -e “pointer = 1 6 3 4 5 2″ ” . The following output will be shown on successful change.
- Now you can again issue the first command to see the new order and map.”xmodmap -pp”
5. Now play around to check if it’s working as it should be if that’s the case you can make it permanent by adding this your local configuration file.”$echo “pointer 1 6 3 4 5 2″ >> ~/.Xmodmap”
References/ Relevant blog/forum posts
Thanks for reading the post!